We tell our clients that selling is a personal decision, and whatever time is right for your family, is the best time to sell. Yet there’s no doubt that the spring is one of the best times of year to sell a home. According to a study by Zillow, homes listed between mid-March and mid-April, traditionally sell the fastest. Forbes places May and June as the best months to sell a home.
You should also take the local real estate market into account and aim to list your property at a time that’s likely to give you the best price and appeal to a large number of buyers. According to national data, the best time to sell is the beginning to middle of May. As you can see, there’s a trend here and it has to do with warm weather.
We come out of hibernation in the Spring. Flowers start to bloom. Houses tend to have more curb appeal, when grass is vibrant and green.
If you’re thinking of selling in the Spring, we’d love to help you. Here’s a top ten list to consider:
Top Ten List for Selling in the Spring
- Improve your landscaping. Maintain your yard, trim the bushes and trees and plant a few flowers
- Make a list of small repairs. These include leaky faucets, painting and checking appliances
- Get rid of clutter, make sure there’s plenty of room to walk and a feeling of openness, unrestricted by knickknacks and personal items
- Clean the tile floors, hardwoods and make sure the door frames are clean. A thorough deep cleaning does wonders for appearances
- Make your entrance appealing, with a new door mat or a fresh coat of paint on the front door
- Make sure colors are neutral throughout the house so buyers can envision their own color scheme
- Organize your closets, remove half of the items and pick up everything on the floor
- Make sure there’s plenty of light. Replace old bulbs, open curtains and let the sun shine in
- Make the house inviting, with a well positioned plant or flowers
- Get rid of all odors, no one likes to walk into a home with pet smells or an overly perfumed plug-in fragrance
And the main thing to do if you’re selling in the spring, is to hire a Real Estate agent.
Agents possess intimate knowledge of the area, they know where to find the industry buzz about your neighborhood. They can quickly identify comparable sales, and hand you a list of facts, pointing you in the right direction every step of the way. Realtors have a code of ethics and guidelines to assist you in getting the best price for your home, especially during the hectic (and disruptive) process of selling.
At Poplar Hill Realty, we know from experience how to guide our clients through every phase of a real estate transaction. We understand the market and the countless decisions clients face, which allows us to provide expertise and recommendations that lead to the best outcome.
From the time we meet until the last document is signed at the closing table we make it our mission to guide you smoothly to success. We are here to guide you through the selling and buying process with confidence, simplicity and peace of mind.